Atwater Alumni Association September 2019 Newsletter
Following note received from the AHS administration
”Atwater High wants to give a heartfelt “thank you” to our Atwater High School Alumni Association for their VERY generous donation! With this and the senior gift from the class of 2019, we will use all the money to paint our alma mater and our logo inside our new gym. #FalconStrong.”
Nathan Braga, Atwater High School Activities Director.
To all the alumni who made a donation to this project a huge thank you. The Alumni Association was created with the idea to help the students and staff at our alma mater through funding of scholarships and projects. In addition to the two scholarships presented this year, this was the first project we have worked on and thanks to those of you who helped make it work. A yearly membership of $10 or a single donation, no matter the amount can help. Please consider helping out our school. Falcons Forever!
As alumni of Atwater High School, we are all aware of the economic realities of the Atwater/Winton area serviced by our school. While never great the conditions were exasperated by the loss of the base in the mid 90’s. While never affluent our hometowns have always been occupied by hard working, dedicated and loyal residents. That tradition continues today and includes the students of AHS. The economic conditions put a strain on some families and student’s ability to meet the basic necessities of life. Freddy’s Closet was established by the administration at AHS to try and aid in those challenges.
Freddy’s Closet is a location where donated new and used clothing and basic necessities are available to students at no cost. The Atwater High School Alumni Association is a proud supporter of Freddy’s Closet and we hope all alumni will consider this option if you have items that are no longer needed, or you want to donate to a worthy cause that helps our future alumni. Thank you in advance for your help. Falcons forever!
The follow are items of special need at this time. Thank you for your consideration and for any help you can provide.
- Coats, jackets, sweaters and any warm weather clothing.
- Hygiene products (soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotions). Travel size bottles from hotels. Toothbrushes and toothpaste (maybe samples that dentists distribute)
- Suits, slacks for boys, dresses for girls, items they can wear to an interview.
- Shoes are accepted.
Donations can be made in person to the AHS office or mailed to the school in care of Atwater High School, Freddy’s Closet, 2201 Fruitland Ave., Atwater CA. 95301. Cash donations for Freddy’s Closet can be made to the Atwater High School Alumni Association by credit/debit card though the AHSAA website, please notate on the donation that it is dedicated to Freddy’s Closet. Or you can mail a check in care of the Association to 106, Laurel, Atwater CA. 95301.
- The Class of 1969 has announced their 50-year reunion will be held the weekend of September 21, 2019. Please join their FB page at Atwater High Class of 1969 and/or contact any committee member with any questions. The members are Rob Olzack (firstname.lastname@example.org), Loren Lingenfelter (email@example.com), Leon Scroggins, Victor Caton, Paul Yasaitis, Jerry Neff, Larry & Bill Arnold, Monica Bolcao McDowell, Margie Villa Matus and Kelly Stanton. Information will also be posted on the Atwater High School Alumni Association Facebook site and on the website at www.atwateralumni.com. See reunion update page on web site to get a link to the sign-up information.
- Updated information from the Class of 1979 Reunion Committee –
Time is of the essence to get your contact information to the
class of ’79 reunion committee… We will be sending out invitations, so please
include your mailing address along with your email and phone number… We will
be limiting the number of attendees, so please respond soon… If you will be
needing hotel accommodations, please include that as well… Please share this
information with anyone you know who may not be on social media… We also
would like information on any classmates who have or are now serving in the
military and those classmates who are no longer with us…
Please send information to firstname.lastname@example.org
Class of 79 Reunion Committee
- The Class of 1979 40 Year Reunion is officially under way. Date has been set, September 28, 2019, mark your calendar. We need to contact as many classmates as possible. This is always the hardest part of any reunion planning and the committee needs everyone’s help in finding classmates. You can send your contact information to email@example.com. Please send name (include maiden names), address, email and phone number, this information is for the reunion committee only. Please share this information with your fellow classmates, if you would like to help with the committee you can contact the following classmates: Myna Wilson, Paul Roseman, Kurt Kessler or Trina Kramer.
If your class year ends in a 0 (70, 80, 90, 00, 10). or 5 (65, 75, 85, 95, 05, 15). now would be a great time to organize a committee, have some fun and start planning for a reunion this year. The Alumni Associate is willing to help, and we have some experts who have had experience in the organizing of these events and will be happy to share some best practices with you.
Milestone Year Memories
Starting a new section on the newsletter and website that will looks back at event that occurred during the month in each of the milestone years.
Milestone Year Events
The following class years are celebrating milestones this year. Here are some interesting things that happened during the months and year they graduated. There were many interesting events in every month, and these were selected as only one interesting and, in some cases, fun example.
1969 – Aug. 15 – Woodstock Music Festival opens with over 500,000 people to attend.
1974 – Aug. 8 – Richard Nixon announces on national television that he will resign.
1979 – Aug 25 – Song “My Shaarona” by The Knack hits number 1 and will go on to be the top song of the year.
1984 – Aug. 22 – Republican Convention in Dallas nominates Ronald Regan for President.
1989 – Aug. 22- Nolan Ryan strikes out his 5,000 batter (Rickey Henderson).
1994 – Aug. 28 – 94th US Amateur Golf Championship won by Tiger Woods.
1999 – Aug. 11 – Tornado hits downtown Salt Lake City, UT. Killing one and injures over 70.
2004 – Aug. 13 – Summer Olympic Games in Greece open.
2009 – Aug. 25 – Senator Edward Kennedy passes away at the age of 77.
2014 – Aug. 11 – Actor and comedian Robin Williams commits suicide at the age of 63.
- Happy Birthday to the Atwater High School Alumni Association on the celebration of its second year as an organization on August 24th.
- A special thanks to Linda Salles (66), Jon Lebeda (66) and Ramona Riedeman (80) for their help at the AHS Back To School Night Alu[JaJC1] mni Association Presentation.
- We are excited to announce that thanks to Principle Theodozio and Activities Director Nathan Braga (96) a link to the Atwater High School Alumni website has been added to the AHS website.
- And special thanks to the following alumni for their donations and support of the association this month: Tim Brown (85)
- Congratulations to Kelly Thomas (81) and her husband Bill on the celebration of their 32 wedding anniversary.
- Proud announcement by Keven Oberlander (01) and his wife Andrea on the arrival of their son Bowen Charles born August 1st. Congratulations from the Falcon family.
- Congratulations to Renee Haugen Cardella (01) and her husband Frank on the celebration of their 7th wedding anniversary.
- Congratulations to Becky Sanchez Machado (81) and Todd Machado (81) on the celebration of their 36th anniversary.
- Congratulations to Melinda Dunning Briggs (91) and her husband Joe on their 25th wedding anniversary.
- And congratulations to Kevin Graham (13) and his wife Mersades on the celebration of their one year wedding anniversary.
- Mia Correa (19) auditioned for and was accepted into the Applied Music Program at Bakersfield College. Congratulations and good luck in future music endeavors.
- Happy anniversary wishes to Jennifer Mooneyham-Olano (01) and her husband Paul on the celebration of their 14th wedding anniversary.
- Our thoughts and best wishes to the friends and family of Laurie Pitney (81) on her passing. She worked tirelessly for animal rights and will be missed.
- Congratulations to James Owen (79) and his wife Marci on the celebration of their second wedding anniversary.
- Congratulations to Kenda Granado (02) and Matthew Granado (02) on their 15th wedding anniversary.
Have a life event you would like to share with your alumni friends. You can submit items through the comment section of the website or sending an e-mail to AtwaterAlumni@outlook.com. Please include your graduation or years attend and a brief description of your even. Items will be published monthly on the newsletter and website.
- Congratulations and welcome to new Principal Bret Theodozio.
- Congratulations to AHS Athletic Director Scott Wine for being awarded the “Assignors Choice Top Athletic Director Award” for the Sac Joaquin Section.
- Agriculture Chair Dave Gossman has been named to the National FFA Board of Directors. He began his teaching career at AHS with 250 students in the FFA program Today the program has 10 staff members and more than 1,100 students enrolled, making it the largest FFA chapter in the nation. You all make us very Falcon proud.