Atwater Alumni Association February 2020 Newsletter
A California Nonprofit Public Benefit Corporation IRS Tax #82-2320646
To AHS Alumni,
Due to some recent email we have received we wanted to make sure that all alumni are aware that all organizations that send out emails related to Atwater Alumni are not associated with the Atwater High School Alumni Association. Most of those emails are from for profit organizations such as Classmates, Alumni Class, Class Finders, etc. These organizations do not provide any support to the high school.
We are a nonprofit 501(c)(3) corporation and any communication from us will clearly refer to the Atwater High School Alumni Association. All donated funds are used for scholarships for Atwater High School students and items such as Freddy’s Closet and the Miracles Do Happen, programs sponsored by the high school. Our goal has always been to support class groups in organizing and publicizing reunions, everyone who attends a reunion comes away thankful that they attended and looking forward to the next one. Organizing one can seem like a daunting task, but in fact is not difficult if a group of committed classmates come together, and in fact the planning process itself can be fun and rewarding, and we hope to help in those efforts
In addition our goals are to establish a data base of Atwater alumni to be used to help future reunion organizing committees get a start on finding classmates, to provide a conduit for alumni communications and information on the high school, and support for staff and students of AHS.
We are thankful for all the alumni who’s support us over the last two and a half years has allowed us to continue our scholarship activity. We know that there are many worthy causes that compete for your donations and hope that you will continue to consider us in the future.
Wishing all alumni and their families a wonderful year ahead. Many exciting things are happing at AHS and we look forward to sharing them with you. Falcons forever!
AHSAA Board of Directors.
The Class of 1970 has announced that they will hold their 50th Year Reunion on Friday July 3, 2020. More information to come.
The Class of 1975 has announced that they will hold their 45th Year Reunion on Saturday September 12, 2020. Mark your calendars, more information to come.
The Class of 1980 has announced that they will hold their 40th Year Reunion during Labor Day weekend, September 5, 2020. Mark your calendars, more information to come.
The Class of 2000 Reunion Committee has announced they will hold a 20th Year Reunion on June 13, 2020. More information to come, mark your calendars and prepare to party with your classmates.
A group of alumni is working on organizing a multi class reunion for those who attended AHS from 1958 to 1965. This includes the original class at AHS and the first four-year Senior and Junior classes. They are looking for classmate information in order to contact them. If you were at AHS during this time and are interested in this event, please send your contact information to the association or to Geri Freitas through her Facebook Messenger site.
If your class year ends in a 0 (70, 80, 90, 00, 10). or 5 (65, 75, 85, 95, 05, 15). now would be a great time to organize a committee, have some fun and start planning for a reunion this year. The Alumni Associate is willing to help, and we have some experts who have had experience in the organizing of these events and will be happy to share some best practices with you.
Milestone Year Events
The following class years are celebrating milestones this year. Here are some interesting things that happened during the months and year they graduated. There were many interesting events in every month, and these were selected as only one interesting and, in some cases, fun example.
1965 –. Feb. 1 – Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and 700 protesters are arrested in Selma AL.
1970 – Feb. 26 – Beatles release “Beatles Again” album, also known as the “Hey Jude” album.
1975 – Feb. 27 – Wall Street Journal front page story “Social Security on its way to going brook”.
1980 – Feb. 22 – “Miracle on Ice” US Olympic Hockey Team defeats the heavily favored Russian team 4-3 in Lake Placid, NY.
1985 – Feb. 17 – Price of a first-class stamp is raised from 20 to 22 cents.
1990 – Feb. 11 – Nelson Mandela is released from prison in South Africa after 27 years of imprisonment.
1995 – Feb. 28 – Denver International Airport opens.
2000 – Feb. 17 – Microsoft releases Windows 2000.
2005 – Feb. 15 – YouTube internet site launched in the United States.
2010 – Feb. 23 – The United States Navy announces that it will end its ban of woman in submarines.
2015 – Feb. 26 – Earl Lloyd, the first African American basketball player in the NBA dies at 86.
- Congratulations to Vivian Telechea Passwaters (87) and her husband Gary on the celebration of the 51st wedding anniversary.
- Congratulations to Linda George Barber (66) and her husband Wayne on the celebration of their 47th wedding anniversary.
- Congratulations to Mickey Garcia (62) and her husband Louie on their 49th wedding anniversary.
- Congratulations and best wishes to Deanna Snyder (87) and Mike Brake on the announcement of their engagement.
- Congratulations to Liz Call Cockrell (88) and Casey Cockrell (89) on their 26th wedding anniversary.
- Congratulations to Binda Atwal (04) and her husband Puneet on their 9th wedding anniversary.
- Congratulations to Andrea Baptie (88) and her husband Rob on the celebration of their 30th wedding anniversary.
- AHS alumni Kelsey Valencia (19) and Lexi Valencia (19) will be playing in the NAIA Division II National Basketball Tournament as member of the Dakota Wesleyan Woman’s Basketball team. Good luck to the former standout Falcon athletes.
Have a life event you would like to share with your alumni friends. You can submit items through the comment section of the website or sending an e-mail to AtwaterAlumni@outlook.com. Please include your graduation or years attend and a brief description of your even. Items will be published monthly on the newsletter and website.
- Great season for the Freshman boys Basketball team, wining the league championship.
- Also, great seasons for Ladies Falcon Basketball team and Men’s Soccer team for making it into the sectional playoffs.
- Congratulations to Ulyette Curiel, Brianna Juarez, and Yisela Vera-Rojas for qualifying for the California State Wrestling Tournament. The hard work paid off, good luck to all.
- Atwater High School Alumni Nick Johnson has been selected as a Drum Major for the 2020-2021 Fresno State Bulldog Marching Band. Atwater Band tradition lives on. Congratulations to Nick.
- For future planning the 2020 Homecoming Game this year will be held Friday September 18th against Merced High School.