Atwater High School Graduation
Congratulations to the 481 newest alumni of Atwater High School, and welcome to the ranks of AHS Alumni. Thanks to AHS Activities Director Bathan Braga for some of the following interesting facts about the Class of 2019.
- 15 have enlisted in the military and 7 more are planning on joining.
- 90 are attending a 4 year university.
- 1 large number are planning on attending junior college.
- The Ladies Cross Country, Wrestling, Basketball and Boys Track all won CCC championships.
- Clara Harman broke the school record in both the 800m and 1600m.
- Monica Verdugo qualified for the state wrestling championships.
- Atwater Percussion and Guard won numerous awards throughout the year.
- Atwater FFA Marketing Team work State of California Champion competition.
- Atwater FFA Cotton judging team was Stat of California Champions.
- FFA’s Kyra Wright was State champion proficiency winner in turfgrass management.
New Gym Graphics Project
Atwater Hight School is in the process of raising funds to finish the graphics for the interior of the new gym. This includes painting the Falcon logo and alma matter on the walls.
The Atwater High School Alumni Association Board believes this would be a great first project for our new organization. The total cost of the project is estimated to be $14,000. Nathan Braga, Activities Director at AHS advises us that his senior class has already taken up the project and has raised $8,000 toward the cost. We believe that, with the support of the many AHS alumni who follow us on Facebook and our web site we can help close the gap.
We have two requests. First, we need a group of volunteer alumni who would be willing to work on the project. This group would develop ideas and plans for the raising of funds. If you would like to give back to your school and aid in this project the contact information is listed below. We do not believe we can achieve our goal without some other alumni joining in this project. Please join us, we promise it will be fun.
If you are not able to help with the committee but would be willing to help you can donate to the Alumni Association Gym Project. All monies raised will be used to help finish this project. The Alumni Association will be recognized for its participation and we will also personally recognize you in our newsletter and on the website. We will also keep member advised of our progress. Donations can be made through the mail at the address listed below or through the donate tab at www.atwateralumniassociation.con . If you want your donation to be earmarked especially for this project, please make a note of that in your donation.
The Alumni Association was formed to aid the school, students and staff of our high school. If you have followed their efforts through our Facebook and website, you know that are doing amazing things with limited resources. A project such as this is one reason the Association was formed. Please do what you can to help. Thank you in advance for your support, lets show the future alumni what we do.
Alumni Association Contact:
Mailing address: 106 Laurel, Atwater CA. 95301
President John Rasmussen – 209-648-4660
Alumni Association – 760-333-6195
- The Class of 1969 has announced their 50-year reunion will be held the weekend of September 21, 2019. Please join their FB page at Atwater High Class of 1969 and/or contact any committee member with any questions. The members are: Rob Olzack (firstname.lastname@example.org), Loren Lingenfelter (email@example.com), Leon Scroggins, Victor Caton, Paul Yasaitis, Jerry Neff, Larry & Bill Arnold, Monica Bolcao McDowell, Margie Villa Matus and Kelly Stanton. Information will also be posted on the Atwater High School Alumni Association Facebook site and on the website at www.atwateralumni.com. See reunion update page on web site to get a link to the sign up information.
- Updated information from the Class of 1979 Reunion Committee –
Time is of the essence to get your contact information to the
class of ’79 reunion committee… We will be sending out invitations, so please
include your mailing address along with your email and phone number… We will
be limiting the number of attendees, so please respond soon… If you will be
needing hotel accommodations, please include that as well… Please share this
information with anyone you know who may not be on social media… We also
would like information on any classmates who have or are now serving in the
military and those classmates who are no longer with us…
Please send information to firstname.lastname@example.org
Class of 79 Reunion Committee
- The Class of 1979 40 Year Reunion is officially under way. Date has been set, September 28, 2019, mark your calendar. We need to contact as many classmates as possible. This is always the hardest part of any reunion planning and the committee needs everyone’s help in finding classmates. You can send your contact information to email@example.com. Please send name (include maiden names), address, email and phone number, this information is for the reunion committee only. Please share this information with your fellow classmates, if you would like to help with the committee you can contact the following classmates: Myna Wilson, Paul Roseman, Kurt Kessler or Trina Kramer.
If your class year ends in a 0 (70, 80, 90, 00, 10). or 5 (65, 75, 85, 95, 05, 15). now would be a great time to organize a committee, have some fun and start planning for a reunion this year. The Alumni Associate is willing to help, and we have some experts who have had experience in the organizing of these events and will be happy to share some best practices with you.
Milestone Year Memories
Starting a new section on the newsletter and website that will looks back at event that occurred during the month in each of the milestone years.
Milestone Year Events
The following class years are celebrating milestones this year. Here are some interesting things that happened during the months and year they graduated. There were many interesting events in every month, and these were selected as only one interesting and, in some cases, fun example.
1964 – Jun 19 Civil Rights Act of 1964 passes 73-27
1969 – Jun 28 Police carry out an early morning raid on Stonewall Gay Bar in Greenwich Village, NY; about 400 to 1,000 patrons riot against police, it lasts 3 days
1974 – Jun 26 The Universal Product Code is scanned for the first time to sell a package of Wrigley’s chewing gum at the Marsh Supermarket in Troy, Ohio
1979 – Jun 1 Los Angeles passes its first homosexual rights bill1984 –
1999 – Jun 1 Los Angeles passes its first homosexual rights bill.
2004 – Jun 5 40th US President and actor Ronald Reagan dies at 93.
2009 – Jun 1 General Motors files for chapter 11 bankruptcy. It is the fourth largest United States bankruptcy in history.
2014 – Jun 25 The US Supreme Court rules that police cannot examine the digital contents of a cell phone without a court order
- A special thanks to those alumni who donated to the association this month. Andrea Hillyard (84), Cherie Griffin Mattos (66)
- Congratulations to Mike Mendes (86) and his wife Denise on the celebration of their 25 wedding annaversity.
- Congratulations to Kell Hopkings (93) and Cindy Funderburk Hopkins (92) on celebrating their 21 wedding annaversity.
- Congratulations to Lynn Wilson Collins (69) and her husband Danile on the 16th wedding annaversity.
- Congratulations to Justin Stephenson (01) and his wife Sarah on the celebration of their 16th wedding annaversity.
- Additional congratulations on a 16th wedding annaversity to Tom Haskett (91) and his wife Rosemary.
- Shout out to Maureen Mo Hurley (70) who will be appearing in the Clean Comedy Competion at the Ice House in Pasadena on July 23-25. For those in the area, tickets are availibe to go out and root on a great AHS alumni.
- Congratulations to Dwane Jantz (79} and his wife Cathy Evens Jantz (81) on the celebration of the 38th wedding annaversity.
- And congratulations to Linda Willhoite Boggiano (65) and her husband Gary on celebrating their 54th wedding annaversity
- Congratulations to Teri (85) and Trent (85) Sherman on the celebraton of their 28 wedding annaversity.
- And just to prove that June is a wedding month. Congratulations to Renee Wade (02) and her husband Rick who celebrated their first wedding annaversity.
- Our condolences to the family and friends of fellow classmate Warren Arther Parker (80) who passed away this month. Warren was a 21 year veturn of the United States Army and lived in College Station Tx.
Have a life event you would like to share with your alumni friends. You can submit items through the comment section of the website or sending an e-mail to AtwaterAlumni@outlook.com. Please include your graduation or years attend and a brief description of your even. Items will be published monthly on the newsletter and website.
- We are sorry to report that long time coach and supporter of Falcon Baseball, John Lema passed away this month. He will be missed and his legacy will live on.
Congratulations to Atwater teacher Kaylyn Davenport for her selection a State Outstanding Young Teacher of the Year by the California Agricultur Teachers Association