Atwater Alumni Association November 2019 Newsletter
A California Nonprofit Public Benefit Corporation IRS Tax #82-2320646 www.atwateralumniassociation.com
To all our Falcon classmates and friends.
November is the month for giving thanks, and the Alumni Association wants to express or thanks to all the alumni who have made donations and supported us over the past year. With your support the alumni of AHS have demonstrated to the current population of students and staff at AHS the concept of giving back. Through your efforts we have provided funds for the following programs:
- Completion of the new gym graphics project.
- Freddy’s Closet, providing clothing and basic necessities for Falcons students in need.
- The Make Miracles Happen program, granting wishes to deserving students and families.
- And our yearly Legacy Scholarship Program, awarding scholarships to AHS students to aid them in continuing their studies.
No donation is too small, and every dollar contributed is used to fund a program that supports the students and staff at AHS. Our goal is to continue to grow and help our school. We all know the economic challenges that face our area and schools in general. We hope that all of you who participated this year feel good about doing something that pays back so completely. We hope you will continue to support the students and staff and that others will consider this option when making your contribution decisions.
We hope alumni everywhere have a wonderful holiday season. You are the best, and we are all collectively Falcon Strong.
Atwater High School Board of Directors.
The Class of 1975 has announced that they will hold their 45th Year Reunion on Saturday September 12, 2020. Mark your calendars, more information to come.
The Class of 1980 has announced that they will hold their 40th Year Reunion during Labor Day weekend, September 5, 2020. Mark your calendars, more information to come.
- The Class of 2000 Reunion Committee has announced they will hold a 20th
- Year Reunion on June 13, 2020. More information to come, mark your calendars and prepare to party with your classmates.
- A group of alumni is working on organizing a multi class reunion for those who attended AHS from 1958 to 1965. This includes the original class at AHS and the first four-year Senior and Junior classes. They are looking for classmate information in order to contact them. If you were at AHS during this time and are interested in this event, please send your contact information to the association or to Geri Freitas through her Facebook Messenger site.
If your class year ends in a 0 (70, 80, 90, 00, 10). or 5 (65, 75, 85, 95, 05, 15). now would be a great time to organize a committee, have some fun and start planning for a reunion this year. The Alumni Associate is willing to help, and we have some experts who have had experience in the organizing of these events and will be happy to share some best practices with you.
Milestone Year Memories
Milestone Year Events
The following class years are celebrating milestones this year. Here are some interesting things that happened during the months and year they graduated. There were many interesting events in every month, and these were selected as only one interesting and, in some cases, fun example.
1969 Nov. 10 – “Sesame Street” premiers on PBS
1974 – Nov. 21 – Freedom of Information Act is passed by Congress over President Ford’s veto
1979 – Nov. 4 – Iran hostage crisis begins, when students invade the U.S. Embassy and take 90 hostages, 53 of whom are American.
1984 – Nov. 6 – Ronald Regan is elected President, defeating former Vice President Walter Mondale with 59% of the popular vote.
1989 – Nov. 7 – L. Douglas Wilder became the first African America governor in the US, elected governor of Virginia.
1994 – Nov. 8 – Hurricane Gordon hits Central America, Caribbean and Southeaster US, causing $594 million in damages and 1,152 fatalities, most of whom were in Haiti,
1999 – Nov. 5 – United States vs. Microsoft: US District Judge Thomas Jackson issues a preliminary ruling that the software company Microsoft had “monopoly power”.
2004 – Nov. 2 – George W. Bush is re-elected President of the United States, defeating John Kerry.
2009 – Nov. 4 – The New York Yankees defeat the Philadelphia Phillies to win their 27th world championship.
2014 – Nov. 3 – The new One World Trade Center opens in New York City.
- A Special thanks to the following alumni who
made contributions to the Make Miracles Happen Program at AHS. Your generous
support put a smile on peoples face and helped make this holiday season
- Class of 1969 Reunion Members.
- Cherie Griffin Matos (66), Linda Salles (66), Donna Britton Farmer (66), Mike Prows (66), Jon Lebeda (66), Keith McIntire (66), John Rasmussen (66), Jim Crotts (66), Kathy Saca Jensen (68), Pam Arden Beihl (66).
Have a life event you would like to share with your alumni friends. You can submit items through the comment section of the website or sending an e-mail to AtwaterAlumni@outlook.com. Please include your graduation or years attend and a brief description of your even. Items will be published monthly on the newsletter and website.
- Falcon Football team had a great year, made the section playoffs. Lost in the quarterfinal game to Sierra. Outstanding season.
- Both men’s and lady cross country teams qualified for the state meet. Congratulations to all the students and coaches for a great season. AHS boys finished 16th in the state, and ladies finished 23 in state. Great performances by the Falcons.