Atwater Alumni Association October 2019 Newsletter
Make Miracles Happen
For the past five years Atwater High School has held a “Miracles Do Happen” program for students and families of AHS. The program raises funds and at a celebration assembly grants as many wishes as possible to deserving students and family. Last year they were able to grant a rage of wishes, including a trip to Legoland for a student’s younger sibling with autism and a day at a spa for a student’s month who is fighting cancer. Wishes granted can also be small gestures that simply put a smile on a person’s face.
This year the Alumni Association has decided to participate in this worthwhile program by asking former classmates to donate to this cause. We recognized that times are tough for many people and appreciate any help you can provide. Any amount will help and as a group we can make a difference. Any time we do something to put a smile on someone’s face it makes us a better person. We really appreciate the support of those who have helped us on projects in the past and hope that others will join for this most worthwhile project. Let’s prove to the current group of future Falcon alumni how special Falcons really are, something we already know.
A donation of any size is appreciated. You can make donations by debit/credit card on our website at www.atwateralumniassociation.com or by check to Atwater High School Alumni Association and mailed to 106 Laurel, Atwater CA. 95301.
The Atwater High School 6th annual “Miracles Do Happen Assembly” will be held on December 13th. This year we plan on enjoying giving many thanks at Thanksgiving and one will be that we put a smile on a face and granted a wish to a Falcon.
You all are examples of what makes our school so great.
Atwater High School Alumni Association Board of Directors
The Alumni Association and all our members want to send our thoughts and prayers out to all those who are impacted by the fires in both northern and southern California. We know that many of our classmates live in these areas and hope everyone is safe.
We also want to extend our thanks to all the fire personal and first responders for your hard work and brave efforts to fight these fires. We have a number of classmates who are current or past fire personal and our thanks go out to you each and every day for your efforts to keep our communities safe. From Falcons everywhere, thank you.
Three years ago, an alumni reunion committee decided, as part of their program to include a fund-raising element with the goal to present scholarships to AHS students. The program was very successful, and several members decided to continue the efforts through the development of a nonprofit Alumni Association. The hope was that successive reunion committees would include some kind of fund-raising activity in their programs to support AHS and the community.
This year the Class of 1969 held their 50th Year Reunion and it was a tremendous success as demonstrated by the comments of all those who attended. We are happy to announce that they have continued the original concept and have made a very generous contribution to the Alumni Association with the help of all their classmates and friends who supported the reunion. They have truly demonstrated the concept of Falcon Strong and provided an example for those class reunion committees in the future.
Our sincere thanks to the Class of 69 Reunion Committee and all those classmates and friends who supported this effort. This will ensure that we can continue our scholarship program next year and aid AHS in efforts such as the Gym Graphics Project, Freddy’s Closet and the upcoming “Miracles Do Happen” Program. You can see a review of their reunion and some great pictures on the Atwater High Scholl Alumni Website.
Thanks Again – Class of 69 Rocks
- The Class of 2000 Reunion Committee has announced they will hold a 20 Year Reunion on June 13, 2020. More information to come, mark your calendars and prepare to party with your classmates.
- A group of alumni is working on organizing a multi class reunion for those who attended AHS from 1958 to 1965. This includes the original class at AHS and the first four-year Senior and Junior classes. They are looking for classmate information in order to contact them. If you were at AHS during this time and are interested in this event, please send your contact information to the association at AtwaterAlumni@outlook.com or to Geri Freitas through her Facebook Messenger site.
If your class year ends in a 0 (70, 80, 90, 00, 10). or 5 (65, 75, 85, 95, 05, 15). now would be a great time to organize a committee, have some fun and start planning for a reunion this year. The Alumni Associate is willing to help, and we have some experts who have had experience in the organizing of these events and will be happy to share some best practices with you.
Milestone Year Memories
Starting a new section on the newsletter and website that will looks back at event that occurred during the month in each of the milestone years.
Milestone Year Events
The following class years are celebrating milestones this year. Here are some interesting things that happened during the months and year they graduated. There were many interesting events in every month, and these were selected as only one interesting and, in some cases, fun example.
1969 – Oct. 29 – US Supreme Court orders an end to all school segregation at once.
1974 – Oct. 1 – The Watergate trial begin in Washington D.C,
1979 – Oct. 17 – President Jimmy Carter signs legislation creating the Department of Education.
1984 – Oct. 20 – The Monterey Bay Aquarium opens to the public.
1989 – Oct. 17 – A 6.9 earthquake strikes San Francisco canceling the 3rd game of the World Series and kills 67 people.
1994 – Oct. 21 – North Korea signs a pact to end their nuclear projects.
1999 – Oct. 4 – The song “Breath” is released by Faith Hill, goes to number 1 and becomes the best-selling song of the year.
2004 – Oct. 16 – Lionel Messi, age 17 makes his league debut with Barcelona.
2009 – Oct. 8 – President Barack Obama is announced as the winner of the Nobel Peace Prize.
2014 – Oct. 29 – The San Francisco Giants defeat the Kansas City Royals to win the World Series. Pitcher Madison Bumgarner is named the MVP of the series.
- The Atwater High School Alumni Association has added a new element to the website. A What’s New features has to the front page of the site to show the most current additions and a link to view them.
- Congratulations to Sandi Miller (77) and Bill Miller (87) on celebrating their 9th anniversary.
- Congratulation to Maria Flores (10) and her husband Juan on their 1-year anniversary.
- Congratulations to Jason Warchol (91) and his wife Melissa on the celebration of their 3rd wedding anniversary.
- Scott Koehn (88) announced his engagement to Emily Brossard. Congratulations to the happy couple.
Have a life event you would like to share with your alumni friends. You can submit items through the comment section of the website or sending an e-mail to AtwaterAlumni@outlook.com. Please include your graduation or years attend and a brief description of your even. Items will be published monthly on the newsletter and website.
- Atwater Basketball Coach JR Davis was recognized by the Hope for Youth organization and the California Senate with the Captain’s Compass Award for this service to the youth of the community. Congratulation on a well-deserved award coach.
- Congratulations to the Atwater High School Ladies Cross Country Team for winning the CCC Championship.