Atwater Alumni Association March 2020 Newsletter
A California Nonprofit Public Benefit Corporation IRS Tax #82-2320646
As we all do our part to combat the spread of the COVID-19 vires by following the directions and restrictions put in place by the medical professionals, our thought goes out to alumni, their family and friends everywhere. In addition, words cannot adequately describe the gratitude we all feel for those medical professionals, grocery store employees, truck drivers, police, fire and civil servants who continue to provide the basic services we all need. Also, to the teachers and staff of all the schools at every level and grade that have worked quickly to develop and deliver content to aid us in our home efforts to provide for our children’s education. We have found a new level of respect for all of these folks and once we are through this hope that the memory of what they have provided will stay with us all.
Thank you for what you are doing to help in ways big and small. Be positive and respect everyone. Stay safe.
The Class of 1970 has announced that due to the current condition they will delay their 50th Year Reunion originally scheduled for Friday July 3, 2020. They are looking at dates in the September time period. So, stay tuned more information to come.
The Class of 1975 has announced that they will hold their 45th Year Reunion on Saturday September 12, 2020. Mark your calendars, more information to come.
The Class of 1980 has announced that they will hold their 40th Year Reunion during Labor Day weekend, September 5, 2020. Mark your calendars, more information to come.
The Class of 1990 has established a Facebook group page Atwater High School Class of 1990 30 Year Reunion. A reunion will be held, but due to the current vises conditions an exact date has not been established. Alumni who are interested would like to update on future plans are encouraged to go to the Facebook site.
- The Class of 2000 Reunion Committee has announced they will hold a 20th
- Year Reunion on June 13, 2020. More information to come, mark your calendars and prepare to party with your classmates.
A group of alumni is working on organizing a multi class reunion for those who attended AHS from 1958 to 1965. This includes the original class at AHS and the first four-year Senior and Junior classes. They are looking for classmate information in order to contact them. If you were at AHS during this time and are interested in this event, please send your contact information to the association or to Geri Freitas through her Facebook Messenger site.
If your class year ends in a 0 (70, 80, 90, 00, 10). or 5 (65, 75, 85, 95, 05, 15). now would be a great time to organize a committee, have some fun and start planning for a reunion this year. The Alumni Associate is willing to help, and we have some experts who have had experience in the organizing of these events and will be happy to share some best practices with you.
Milestone Year Memories
Starting a new section on the newsletter and website that will looks back at event that occurred during the month in each of the milestone years.
Milestone Year Events
The following class years are celebrating milestones this year. Here are some interesting things that happened during the months and year they graduated. There were many interesting events in every month, and these were selected as only one interesting and, in some cases, fun example.
1965 –. Mar. 2 – The movie “Sound of Music” with Julie Andrews is released.
1970 – Mar. 12 – The United States lowered the voting age from 21 to 18.
1975 – Mar. 19 – Pennsylvania becomes the first state to allow girls to compete in boys’ sports in high school.
1980 – Mar. 27 – Mt. Saint Helens erupts in Washington state.
1985 – Mar 15 – The first Internet domain name, symbolics.com is registered.
1990 – Mar. 12 – LA Raiders announce their return to Oakland
1995 – Mar. 27 – “Forest Gump” starring Tom Hank and Jessica Lang wins the Academy Award for best picture.
2000 – Mar. 1 – US House votes 422-0 to remove earning limits on Social Security recipients while maintaining benefits, on Mar. 22 the Senate votes 100-0 to also approve the measure.
2005 – Mar. 3 – Steve Fossett land in Kansas and becomes the first man to make a solo nonstop flight around the world, more than 23,000 miles.
2010 – Mar. 7 – The “Hurt Locker” staring Sandra Bullock and Jeff Bridges wins the Academy Award for best picture.
2015 – Mar. 6 – NASA’s Dawn space probe enters orbit around the dwarf plant Ceres (named after a city north of Atwater……ok maybe not but the event was real)
- AHS alumni and former FAA chapter officer Brenae Royal was featured on a segment on the Today Show featuring woman in agriculture.
- Our condolences to the family, friends and classmates of AHS alumni Stephen Strong on his passing.
- Condolences also go out to the family, friends and classmates of Charles Mancebo (62) a member of the first four-year graduating class at AHS and a veteran
- Congratulations to Vikki Bynum (65) and her husband Gregg on the celebration of their 30th wedding anniversary.
- Congratulations to Holly Baker Tucker (98) and her husband Jeff on their 19th wedding anniversary.
- Congratulations to Corrie Stone Aguiar (99) and her husband Daniel on their 10th wedding anniversary.
- Congratulations to Steve Sziraki (81) and his wife Kim on the celebration of their 37th wedding anniversary.
- Congratulations to Rob Strickland (77) and his wife Vicki on their 35th wedding anniversary.
Have a life event you would like to share with your alumni friends. You can submit items through the comment section of the website or sending an e-mail to AtwaterAlumni@outlook.com. Please include your graduation or years attend and a brief description of your even. Items will be published monthly on the newsletter and website.
- Atwater High School is currently closed due to the health restrictions in place to combat the COVID-19 vires.